There are several kinds of adventures.
- solitary adventures
- adventures shared with a stranger or a few strangers
- adventures shared with an acquaintance or a few friends
- adventures shared with a close friend
- adventures shared with family members
- adventures shared with a life partner
Each adventure is flavored by companionship, just as a soup or sauce is changed by spices added. The basic character of the journey remains the same, but different details come to the fore.
When my husband and I went up to the Grand Mesa on Friday, the trip was different than it would have been with my former walking partner, or with only my own company. My husband loves to stop and watch the birds, butterflies, bees, and, in this case, chimunks. Not everyone does.
Our conversation is different, too. Often, we don’t talk at all. We don’t have to. Like the little friends in the picture, we are out together devouring the beauty of the day, taking pictures, and hording memories.
That day, we had so many.
- a long walk through golden woods
- a fantastic hamburger and home fries at Mesa Lakes Lodge and Resort
- butterflies and chipmunks
- glittering diamonds on the lakes
But, most of all, just being together sharing another special experience.